Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Obdurate / Unto Death


This time around I offer you some USBM, formed in 1999 from Minnesota, this is Azrael. I always questioned why people seemingly don't pay much attention to this band as I consider them to be highly talented in creating meaningful and warping darkened atmospheres that aren't just a carbon copy of other styles. Obdurate & Unto Death are actually two seperate demos, tracks 1-3 are from 2002's Obdurate, and tracks 4-9 are from 2001's Unto Death.

Obdurate







Unto Death

Both title tracks are highly rich and engaging from both the instrumental and vocal perspective, yet let it be known that the album immediately kicks off with one of my favorite tracks from the album, and a potent one at that. Very gloomy and disheartening riffs, a feeling of some unknown foreboding curse creeping on your soul in a very visually stimulating way, this is Azrael's finest work to date. Being a collection of their older material, it has a somewhat aged sound if compared to their more polished recent works, hence my obvious preference over this, but that isn't the sole reason altogether... this album speaks to me through the way that it sounds and I can understand its essence. If you enjoy this Azrael try hunting down Act I, II, & III / IV...

1. Tenebrous Winds
2. Obdurate
3. Inhuman Scourge
4. Intro
5. Frozen in Death
6. Opening of the Tomb
7. Unto Death
8. Cthonic Gurgling
9. Noise Ritual (Outro)

Tenebrous Winds

No comments:

Post a Comment