Wednesday, January 13, 2010

The Darkroom Sessions


For those somehow still unaware of Shining, they play a highly depressive and suicidal form of black metal, hailing from Sweden and formed in 1996. The Darkroom Sessions contains rare rehearsal takes and instrumental outtakes compiled in 2004 as a compilation featured just before the release of their fourth full length album. The only track to feature vocals on this cd is the last one, which believe it or not happens to be my favorite song here and in their discography in general. What I enjoy about this release is the lack of vocals for one, as many people find complaints in Niklas's personality, though this is just one of those situations you have to ignore so that you may appreciate their art. Secondly I find the instruments, though oddly enough programmed drums being used all the way through a release is not usual for a full band such as Shining, to be deeply provocative and moving in their gloomy nature. If I wasn't to post this release I would have gone with II - Livets Ändhållplats, as I find this to be the era of Shining that I find most of my enjoyment in, during their years forlorn. The Darkroom Sessions is meant for isolation and pessimism and nothing positive whatsoever.

1. Mörda Dig Själv
2. Fields of Faceless
3. Ett Liv Utan Mening
4. Svart Industriell Olycka
5. Självdestruktivitetens Emissarie
6. Ännu Ett Steg Närmare Total Utfrysning

No comments:

Post a Comment