Thursday, January 14, 2010

De Dodenvaart


I'm posting this for my own selfish and nostalgic reasons, just as anyone creates a connection between a certain time period with specific albums or tunes, this is no different for me. Hekel is a one man black metal band from the Netherlands, formed in 1997, this is his only full length to date, "De Dodenvaart", from 2006. For those unfamiliar to the Dutch language, track titles like "Doodskou" may initially sound dumb to your English sensibilities, but that's just because you're naive. Hekel plays mid-tempo black metal, scattering about some more aggressive portions, followed by what I consider to be his stronger moments in the two slower and more gloomy tracks of the album. "Waar De Wind Fluistert In De Nacht, Luister Ik" and "Doodskou" happen to be the two main reasons I am posting this release, and hence where the memory of Hekel resides, as I used to find myself listening to these two tracks in repeat enjoying the warm weather and some dank herb. Obscure and emotionally charged Dutch black metal perfection.

1. "Ik Erilaz..."
2. Bloed En Eer
3. Waar De Wind Fluistert In De Nacht, Luister Ik
4. De Eeuwige Jachtvelden
5. Sater's Wederkeer
6. Doodskou
7. De Grimmige Sterfte Op De Heide

No comments:

Post a Comment